Bengaluru: ISRO is currently accepting applications from students and professionals for a 7-day free online course called “Basics of Geocomputation and Geoweb Services”. The course is the fourth module being offered by the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS) as part of its outreach program The three modules that were offered earlier are Remote Sensing and Digital Image Analysis, Global Navigation Satellite System, and Geographical Information System. All participants of the course with 70 percent attendance and 40 percent passing marks will receive an ISRO certificate.
The program is being sponsored by the Indian Space Research Organization, Department of Space, Government of India. To participate in the course, the interested organizations, universities, departments, Institutes have to identify a coordinator at their end who will register online their Institute as a nodal center on the IIRS website. Participants have to register online through the registration page by selecting their organization as the nodal center The Coordinator is required to approve the participants from their institute for each course before the program commencement date.
What the ISRO Free Online Course on Geocomputation and Geoweb Services Will Cover?
Participants of the course will get to learn the following topics as part of the course:
- Introduction to geocomputation, online geographical information system and geo-web services.
- Open geodata repositories and ISRO geoweb services for thematic applications.
- Programming concepts for geo-computation: Introduction to Python and R.
- Overview on concept of DBMS, RDBMS and SDBMS for geo-data handling.
- Programming concepts for Geo-computation: Introduction to R.
- Overview of WebGIS and application.
- Practical demonstration on introduction to cloud based geospatial data processing.
Who Can Apply for the ISRO Free Online Course?
The course is open to the following participants:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate students of any year.
- Technical or scientific staff of central, or state government.
- Faculty or researchers at universities or institutions.
How to Apply for ISRO Free Online Course on Geocomputation and Geoweb Services
- Interested participants will have to register with the official website by providing their data such as email address and mobile number.
- Participants can register using Individual registration option also, if their institute not registered under the IIRS Outreach network by entering the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing, Dehradun as the nodal center.
- Participants will receive the registration number on successful submission of application as web page display and email message.
- Participants can then activate their account by clicking on the link that will be sent to the registered email address.
- Once the account is activated and the email is verified, the application will be available for the selection process to the institute, course coordinator, or director who may approve or reject the application.
- All the approved participants will receive an approval email with their login credentials of IIRS E-class platform.
- Course study materials like lecture slides, video-recorded lectures, open source software and handouts of demonstrations will be made available through e-class.
- The classes can also be taken through the IIRS YouTube channel.
- The content of the sessions will be available offline after 24 hours in the e-class portal.